Leadership Camp Review 2014 -- Comments from the students



Camp Review 2014 

 

By Shin Woo In (Advance I)  

   The 3 days 2 nights training camp held in Pahang plantation was one of the most traumatic and exhilarating events of my life and never before in my 13 years, 10 months, 3 days, 22hours, 15 minuets and (I’m not sure how many seconds… but you get my point :D) of my lifespan have I ever encountered having such a lunatic time filled with activities of all sorts, stretching from backstabbing dangerous activities to ridiculously boring activities(I might have exaggerated a bit on that part :D).
This year’s camp has given me a great deal of knowledge and experiences about life in the outside world and reflect upon myself the way I have been living until now and how I can change and slowly enhance myself to become a more prominent person in society.
   Apart from philosophic gibberish I learnt, the environment was perfectly well-suited for the activities taken place and the prison guards (trainers) were all fairly friendly and we got to know some of them. The best thing was that I actually became friends with some of the other prisoners(students) to whom I’ve never cared about whether they exist or not and the food this year was actually recognizable as food compared to last  year’s food which I couldn’t even classify as food and not even a starving beggar would have dared to touch that trash.
   Overall, this camp was quite ok, just that the lack of important facilities such as chairs kind of ticked me off. Sitting on the hard, rough floor too long gave me an intense back ache and I’ve already torn half of my socks I wore to the camp due to the rough brick floor. Another factor that ticks me off is the hygiene issues with sand and grit wherever we walk-including the tents we slept in and lousy bathing facilities.
   If I were given another chance to come to a camp like this, I wouldn’t hesitate to participate provided that the hygiene  and sleeping conditions improve…


 By Alice Wan (Advanced II)

   From the 29th August 2014- 31st August 2014, we, students of English Avenue had an interesting and enjoyable summer camp in a private area named “The Plantation”, Karak. The building here was built by the camp leaders and members including the volunteered participants who participated in the last few camps. This is the most environmental friendly location – a small mountain-liked green land filled with tress of nature in a deep rubber tree plantation, I have ever been. The air, the wind, the sound here are very different from the crowded city, where we have lived since we were born. When I woke up in the morning, chirping of various types of birds could be heard loud and clear but still, I wouldn’t feel irritated. Activities that HANkidz organized were fun and meaningful that have inspired my life.
   The most memorable session is the “Rainy Day Notes” – we sent small letters to our friends by putting them into our friends’ envelopes which were pasted on the wooden wall. I think it is a good idea to tighten our friendships. Thanks to the rainy day notes, I know many new friends who I do not really talk to and understand.
The main thing was teamwork and protected the nature and of course, there were more to be taught at that time. Students were separated into different groups. When I recall the situation, I feel that our group did have great bond between us. We had the same heart to do one thing while we were having activities which required teamwork like the “Water-bucket”, one of the activities that we had played.
   Although some activities seemed to be normal for teenagers, we had enjoyed the games very much! Precious time in the camp ran fast and insensibly, we had gone through no more than 48 hours with the leaders and organizer; I appreciate it very much and want to express my gratitude for what they have contributed. 


By Queenie Tan (Intensive I plus)

   On the day of 29th - 31st August was our training camp. It is held annually, and this was my first time joining a training camp. It is different from religious camps. Before joining the camp, most of the students told me it was torturing and not to expect too high on it. I started feeling scared and wanted to not join the camp. 
   During the first day of the camp, I was seriously shocked. We had been through many tests since the morning. First, as the bus was spoiled and we were all waiting for the new bus to come, this tested our patience. After the new bus came, we all couldn't wait to get up the bus. Then, we finally reached the Plantation and has lots of fun programmes. At night, we had an interesting programme. We hold the candle and walked in the dark ourselves to the volleyball court. After a long time, finally we got to remove our eye blinds and saw actually all of us were at the court, that was when I suddenly felt the sensation of friendships. 
   The second day we had lots more programmes than the day before. We played the 'Balloons War' and we also played in the river. We enjoyed the day and slowly I felt the day was passing too fast. The night we had the barbecue party but it was raining too heavily. After the rain, we went up to cube and had a "hugging session". We also hugged Ms Hannah to thank her for everything she did. It is an valuable experience for me. 
   To conclude, we have a really fun and enjoyable camp. I hope the school will organize this type of camp again, so that we have more valuable memories to take away and to stay in our mind. 


By Ng Ting Yong(Intensive II)

   After the three days two night camp in the Plantation, I feel that the camp is very fun and full of excitement. The games that I played during the camp was fun. Besides that, I also learned a lot of new knowledge for my future. The coaches are very kind but I like Coach Larry the most because he is funny and a kind coach who persuades me to dream big and never give up. This camp also makes me experience something new like jungle trekking in the dark. 
   Unlike the previous camp, this camp is more fun and all the things that we use is from the nature. although the camp is a bit stress, I can make it. I think that the game called 'Battle Royale' is not so fun because it is very hard to throw someone with a water balloon over a wide area. On the other hand, the water ballons is also very less. 
   I hope that there will be a camp that is full of fun, games and adventures in the next term. 


By Cheah Choon Kit (Intensive II)

     Finally, Home Sweet Home. It is very fun to participate the training camp in pahang plantation for 3 days 2 nights. When I was in the plantation, I have a lot of fun and learn many new things. 
     The coaches of plantation made us use our brain to create our team name and cheer. After making team cheer and name, we started to play a game called the amazing five races. It includes fear factor, crazy acting show, ice bucket challenge, spaghetti holding a can and two ropes make the ball fall into the foam cup. This game was fun and it also amused me. In this game, I learned that there is always a way to success. 
      Furthermore, I also learned how to build a tent. From my point of view, building a tent is very important for us when we live in a forest. It is because we can shelter from rain and other wild animals. Beside that, teamwork is also very important for us when we were building a tower with newspaper which was taller than Cody. The other lessons I had learnt is patience. We get the 50 points in holding taps with fingers to make it reach the ground. This is called slow and steady win the race. 
       During nightime, there was a torrential rain fell at the plantation. Although it was raining, I can had a chance to barbecue the delicious sweet potatoes. Before dinner, I learned the sources with need to make barbecue. I was so happy that I had cooked a very nice sweet potatoes. Even my friends and coaches were delightful to sink their teeth into the sweet potatoes. When the storm was over, we met at the cube to play the hugging game. The hugs was so touching that it allowed my tears to flow out of my eyes. Love was important for all of us to strengthen the friendship between one of us. 
        On the third day of the camp, it was time for us to pack all things. In my opinion, I had a lot of fun activities that amused me, I hope I can meet the coaches of E major and plantation again on the next training camp. 



The authors' photographs :
Shin Woo In

Ng Ting Yong

Cheah Choon Kit


 



0 comments: